Thread: A mold for the Pedersoli two-band Enfield

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

A mold for the Pedersoli two-band Enfield

Based mostly on the Youtubes posted by Space Cowboy, I thought I would order the Lyman 575213PH as a reliable minie for the new Pedersoli musket. Anyone have any other thoughts or advice?

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    That is a good bullet to use. The Pedersoli Enfields come with a "Match Grade" barrel so to get the full advantage of their superb barrels, be sure to use a Minie Ball that is NO SMALLER than Two Thousands of an Inch UNDER bore diameter.

Also, cast your Minie Balls out of PURE lead, size them and then weigh them, separating them into different lots by weight. The "Light" Minies get thrown back into the pot and recycled because they have air voids in them.

Experiment with different MODERATE charges of black powder until you find a powder charge that gives you the smallest group "off the bench."

On my P-H Enfield, I knocked off the front sight and milled out one identical to it with the exceptions: (1) The blade was a lot taller. (2) The new sight had a dovetailed base.

I dovetailed the barrel and installed the new sight. I "Sighted In" my Enfield for Windage by tapping the sight back and forth in the base until my windage was "Zero." Just keep in mind when moving your front sight, you have to move it in the OPPOSITE direction of where you want your bullets to land on target! Then I soldered the front sight in place with silver solder.

Then I laid my rear ladder flat and started shooting again "off the bench." I kept filing the front sight down until my bullets were landing in the X-Ring at 50 yards. You will be surprised just how accurate your Enfield can shoot!

If you don't have access to a milling machine, S & S Firearms sells a dovetailed musket front sight [www.ssfirearms.com] Part # 58S148A. Any competent gunsmith with a mill can remove the factory front sight and install the S & S Firearms Front sight.

One last hint: Muskets shoot best with a tight tang screw!

GOOD LUCL!

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Thanks for the advice, Southron. I'll also see if the Pedersoli will benefit from any of Bill Curtis's suggestions in his "managing the Enfield articles on David Minshall's site. I notice over on teh British Militaria board that some of the lads in Australia are having a Pritchett cartridge match, 20 shots offhand at 100 yards using a reduced military target.
    Sounds fun!