Thread: Idea for Visitors

Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Idea for Visitors

Here's an idea: We know we get lots of vistors at Nationals. Most of them end up wandering around, scratching their heads until the find the range. They watch, they leave. And expect for the occasional "Hey" from a member, no one talks to them OR trys to get them to join...

Why don't we ask for volunteers to act as chaparones on Fri/Sat and offer our guests a Guided Tour of the Fort complete with a handout on How To Join N-SSA?

I suspect that most vistors come, enjoy, but go home without ever being asked if they want to join...

I'd volunteer to guide folks while I'm not shooting an event.

-Mike
    Mike 'Bootsie' Bodner
    Palmetto Sharpshooter's, Commander
    9996V

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    A very good idea. Some signage would also help. Our team has acquired a couple of new members as well as some long term friends just by talking to people watching team events. There's usually a reason why someone comes to visit such as historical, shooting or plain curiosity. If you take the time to observe behind the line you'll see that there are a lot of visitors at the nationals. Most are locals but a couple of our friends rode their bikes up from Pensacola (serious road trip) the first time we met them. I invited them up to the campsite for eats and adult beverages (for which we are best known). They are history/battlefield buffs and heard about the N-SSA. They now park their bikes in our front yard. They've been there twice and plan on coming back in the fall. One of our newer members acquired this way is a roundballer who fell in love with the team competition aspect.

Just be friendly, say hello, and are you a visitor. The conversation will take off from there.
    Paul Lampman, 00263V
    Cockade Rifles

Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    You are both correct. We are sorely lacking in the hospitality / recruiting department not only at the Nationals but at many of our skirmishes. Bootsie I do like you idea. Lets meet and talk about this over a slider at the Nationals, and we will get Craig Stanley our recruiting officer involved. One thing we do need is a centrally located Visitors Information booth for our guests. The BOD has discussed this and I look for action to be taken in the near future. That said we will need volunteers to staff this, as we just can't put much more burden on our host skirmish staff duties and responsibilities. In reality this Visitor booth would only need to be staffed on Saturday and Sunday morning and in the off hours we still could have some informational materiel available at the booth.
    Regards,

Phil Spaugy

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    I'd also suggest having a big map set up in the Visitor parking area, maybe at Sutler's Row as well.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com

Region:
    Phil,

Be glad to meet. I'm arriving Tuesday but late in the eve. Let me know a convenient time.

BTW: Palmetto's new campsite is just around the corner from you, so maybe I'll just walk down the road and sit on your porch...

I see no reason that we couldn't try something this skirmish... It's better than nothing!

-Mike
    Mike 'Bootsie' Bodner
    9996V

Region:
    I will be there from the weekend before so when you have some time wander on down, I will be shooting Wednesday morning but anytime in the afternoon will work. I will have a cold libation waiting on you !!

Looking forward to it !

Phil
    Regards,

Phil Spaugy

Region:
    Phil,

Looking forward to it!!

-Mike
    Mike 'Bootsie' Bodner
    9996V

Region:
    Bootsie,

Send me a email and I will send you my cell phone number so you can let me know when you are headed my way.

Phil

pspaugy@aol.com
    Regards,

Phil Spaugy