1st U.S. Artillery Battery"K"
Java Village, N.Y. 14088
The 1st Regiment U.S. Artillery was formed June 1, 1821 and Battery "K" was added in August of 1838. Battery "K" took part in the Mexican War, where Stonewall Jackson saw service with Battery "k".
For the next few years, Battery "K" served in the east and southwest. When the War Between the States broke out, Battery "K" was at Fort Taylor, Fl. Battery "K was sent north where they would soon become a Horse (mounted) Artillery Unit. They would see service in many places, including 2nd Bull Run, Antietam, Brandy Station, Gettysburg, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor, Reams Station and Cedar Creek to name a few.
After the War, Battery "K" went to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas where they took part in the Indian Wars and the Spanish American War. Battery "K and the 1st U.S. Artillery has been changed to the 1st Field Artillery and have served their Country to this day.
The 1st U.S. Artillery Battery "K" was formed as a N-SSA Unit in the
fall of 1971 and stood their inspection at the 45th nationals. The Unit
has not missed a national since that date. As of this date, the team is
a healthy, active unit of 16 members shooting musket, carbine, 2 mortars
and 1 cannon in team competition. They are very proud of their past record
in both history and the N-SSA.
|Commander:||Sergeant Major Howie Offaus|
|Deputy Commander:||1st Sergeant Jim Widrig|
|Paymaster:||Sergeant Charles Stephen, Sr.|
|Adjutant:||Sergeant Rick Lawrence|
|Quartermaster:||Sergeant Dan Jedrzek|
|Ass't Quartermaster:||Corporal Tracy Yott|
|Ordinance:||Sergeant Wayne Waite|
John & Jane Kibler
Betty Jo GIlbert
To contact the 1st US
Click here to view cannon video clip